Many people think that regrouting shower tile is messy and difficult. Actually, it is very simple. There is less chance of damage to the tile in the process of grouting, if done properly.
Simple steps to regrout shower tiles:
- Gathering the tools- The best tool for grouting is a rotary tool such as a Dremel or oscillating tool. Other tools can include safety glasses, flat-head screwdriver, and shop vacuum. You may also need application tools such as large buckets, sponges and rags.
- Remove grout - A fine-tooth blade on the oscillating tool will remove the grout. Do not force the tool into the tile edges. Forcing can chip the edges.
- Get more grout out- Gently angle the blade to get more grout out. Be careful not to linger on the edges as it can damage the tile.
- Remove grout manually- The power tool may not remove every trace of grout. Using a flat-head screwdriver or utility knife removes stubborn chunks of grout.
- Mix new grout- Use a margin trowel and mix the grout according to directions.
- Apply the grout - Using the trowel, apply grout along the tile surface. Distribute extra grout into the joints to fill them completely. This can also be done with a rubber float.
- Remove excess grout- Remove excess grout from the tile. Do this by going over the tile with the rubber float. Move the float diagonally across the tile to remove excess grout.
- Cleaning up-Wipe away grout haze using a wet sponge. Thoroughly squeeze out the water from the sponge. Do not stroke the sponge across the tile surface too hard, as it may pull grout out of the seam.
- Finishing – Do not use the shower for at least 24- 48 hours. Once the grout is dried, apply a penetrating sealer with a sponge or spray bottle. Make sure to wipe off the excess sealer otherwise it may stain.
Contact Perma Ceram in Westchester
Perma Ceram is a tile regrouting contractor in Westchester, NY who has highly skilled professionals. Contact professionals at Perma Ceram for tile regrouting services in Westchester, NY. Call (914) 930-4964 or (888) 797-8108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Use our “contact us” page.
Our services in New York include Westchester, Scarsdale, Harrison, Rye, Larchmont and Mamaroneck.